Wednesday, July 3, 2013

XBMC and Amazon Prime: A match made in digital heaven, until recently!

Here is the issue:

   Up to approximately April of last year, I did not realize it had been that long, I had downloaded a file called BlueCop, which allowed me to watch my Amazon Prime titles, standard and HD, perfectly through XBMC (a wonderful program to use in Xubuntu for viewing media). Then, all of a sudden, I could not watch the movies and programs and received this error message: script failed!: plugin.video.amazon. Now, I must confess , at approximately the same time, watching Amazon titles on Firefox became acceptable, so I did not investigate further.
   However, today I did investigate, and this is what I found. First, Amazon implemented Flash DRM to their videos as copy right protection. Second, the developer of BlueCop, according to discussion threads, has no interest in trying to create a "work around" for this issue. The ultimate conclusion being, if you are using XBMC in Xubuntu for Amazon Prime, you and everyone else are out of luck, and hopefully you can watch Amazon Prime on Firefox. See the following discussion page on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20prime/Tx19HPH8H35E889.
   Unfortunately, my Xubuntunites, this decision has created great despair among those who made XBMC as their main source to view Amazon Prime. I, for one, feel for them. Yet, such is the issue of changing technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment