Saturday, December 8, 2012

How to Access Netflix on Xubuntu

Netflix can be difficult to access on Linux. From my searching, it seems that an answer for it has not been found until this past year. The best answer, and the most recent, I found was on http://www.iheartubuntu.com/. If you cannot find the commands to install Netflix on the website, here they are:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

My experience with this, as I have used it, is that it works as promised. However, the Netflix window cannot, as far as I know now, be resized. It takes up the entire screen. I will try to research this aspect a little further. 

UPDATE: 

Since I posted the above directions, Netflix has updated Silverlight, and I have not tried to update to a newer version of the Ubuntu Netflix hack. Instead, I have stayed with Amazon Prime, which increases their titles monthly. Amazon, from the start has been extremely friendly with Xubuntu. My advice to have Netflix is go buy a  Roku, or something equivalent.

No comments:

Post a Comment